Thursday, April 21, 2016

Prince

I've been in Virginia for just under four years now.  I've started to consider Virginia my home at this place, if nothing else, my home away from home :)  Since I've been here, there have been just a few times where I felt out of place... Twice when my dad was having health issues... which I believe anyone away from their family at that time would feel the same, wherever they are... Once when I heard KG had signed back up with the T-Wolves. I found out while at work, and I looked around at all the females surrounding me... and I knew no one would share the excitement that I felt about KG coming back, even if for the end of his career.
But today, it was a much different feeling.  At lunch I was scrolling through my FB feed and I came across a Kare11 article stating there was a medical emergency at Paisley Park.  I turned to my co-worker and told her, and I didn't get too much of a response.  I said "Paisley Park is Prince's home, in Minnesota" and we moved on with our day. Not an hour later, I hear someone say the words "Prince died!"
The conversation took over the workplace... two coworkers, twenty somethings, said they don't know any Prince songs.  I was floored. They both have completely admitted that they have only listened to country music. While I can see that someone that is 20 something and has been straight country, and not a Minnesotan, I couldn't believe they didn't know ANY of Prince's music. The others started naming off Prince's songs... When Doves Cry... 1999.... Raspberry Beret... Little Red Corvette... Purple Rain...Finally "Kiss" was the song one of them realized she knew, from Pretty Woman. My heart broke a little.
We talked about him in movies, and the MTV music awards, with his butt cheeks hanging out... and of course the Super Bowl performance in the rain. I asked about Romeo + Juliet, the Claire and Leo version, When Doves Cry.  She said she'd seen it, but in high school and does not remember it.
I've never been a huge Prince fan. I knew the songs listed above, and a bunch of songs he wrote, but never knew it... but wasn't ever a big fan. While my friends were driving around Chanhassen trying to find Paisley Park, I had no interest. Maybe I should have.
Looking around at work today, I realized, though I was never a huge Prince fan, I will always be a Minnesotan. My Prince knowledge may span over what songs were on the radio, and what I know from pop culture... I do know I bleed Purple, and it's not because of the Vikings, but because I'm Minnesotan.. Not only did we bleed purple today, but I think our tears were purple as well. Rest in Peace (purple) Prince.

1 comment:

mybkexperience said...

I found this on internet and it is really very nice.
An excellent blog.
Great work!