Sunday, January 25, 2015

New Orleans BBQ Shrimp

So last spring the Man spent a few days in New Orleans. He came back talking about how good BBQ Shrimp was.  Now, I spent some time in New Orleans myself, back in 1997... Before I was 18. which means before I was 21. To make things even more fun, I was with my church's youth group at a ELCA Youth gathering. I had a blast, don't get me wrong, but I feel as if I were to go today, I'd have a different kind of fun!! Here Jen and I are trying on super fun hats :) It was HOT. We were there at the end of July. You haven't felt humidity until you've been to New Orleans in July. And the beads were purchased. Remember we were there with church!! :D

Anyway, I was watching TV recently--- Nothing was on, and when nothing is on I watch Create TV--a PBS channel. It was a cooking show-Cook's Country, and they were making--YOU GUESSED IT! BBQ Shrimp. Which, BTW is not BBQ at all...but shrimp indeed. I quickly googled the show and their recipes, and bingo! there it was. When the Man got home I showed him the recipe and it was ON. Okay, it wasn't on, because it took two weeks before we actually made it.. But we did. Today. and it was AMAZE-BALLS!  We picked up some Zatarain's (reduced sodium of course) to have on the side.  We didn't make this much, as a matter of fact, we only had 1/2 a pound. Which wasn't enough. Next time I'll for sure get 1 pound, and if we are making it for many people, I'll make the whole recipe. Anyway, this was a big time win!
I thought I'd have problems finding the clam juice, I had no idea where to look for it... But it was at eye level and I just happened to glance that way. It was near the tuna and other canned seafood. We used a Bud Light Lime that someone left at our house for the beer. The shrimp we purchased was already deveined and we decided to peel them as well. 

BBQ SHRIMP

Although authentic barbecue shrimp is always made with shell-on shrimp, peeled and deveined shrimp may be used. Light- or medium-bodied beers work best here. Serve with Tabasco sauce and French bread, if desired.

Ingredients

  • 2 pounds extra-large shrimp (21-25 per pound, see note)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces
  • 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon tomato paste
  • 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
  • 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 3/4 cup bottled clam juice
  • 1/2 cup beer
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

Instructions 

1.    Sear shrimp: Pat shrimp dry with paper towels and sprinkle with salt and cayenne. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Cook half of shrimp, without moving, until spotty brown on one side, about 1 minute; transfer to large plate. Repeat with remaining oil and shrimp.

2.    Make Sauce: Melt 1 tablespoon butter in empty skillet over medium heat. Add flour, tomato paste, rosemary, thyme, oregano, and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in clam juice, beer, and Worcestershire, scraping up any browned bits, and bring to boil. Return shrimp and any accumulated juices to skillet. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until shrimp are cooked through, about 2 minutes. Off heat, stir in remaining butter until incorporated. Serve.

Here is a pic of our yummy dinner. we paired it with a white wine from Mountain Cove Vinyards. Their Skyline White. SOOOO YUMMY!


No comments: