Monday, January 12, 2015

Slow Cooker Tex Mex Quiona

I've made a handful of Quinoa dishes like this, and I've yet to be disappointed. This was nice that it was in the slow cooker. The only thing that bothered me is that there was no way to put this on low and cook for eight hours.. I cut up all my peppers and onion yesterday at like 10am and then read a little note stating not to cook it on low for 3 hours as it makes it mushy... We had plans to watch the football game at a friends house, and if I started it before we left it would have been ready too early, and if I waited until we were home, it'd be too late. Thankfully I quit after cutting up the produce. I stuck it in the fridge and when I was at home at lunch today I threw the rest of the food in and it was almost ready when I got home from work. I tasted it right way and it didn't taste like much-but that's because there was still a big part of the recipe left!  I skipped on the mozzarella cheese and put in queso fresco (that I crumbled). Cilantro is my fave...I love it and can't get enough of it.
anyway, here it is. 

Slow Cooker Quinoa Tex Mex
 
Prep time
Total time
 
Author:
Serves: 6-8
Ingredients
  • 1 and 1/2 cups quinoa, well rinsed
  • 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained (I used Hunt's)
  • 1 can (15.25 ounces) corn, drained and rinsed
  • 1 cup sweet peppers, chopped
  • 1 poblano chili pepper (~3/4 cup), chopped (I used a jalapeno as i couldn't find this pepper)
  • 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 1 and 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 3 cups water (or chicken broth)
  • 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
  • 2-4 tablespoons taco seasoning
  • 1 and 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
  • Optional: green onions, salt and pepper to taste

  1. Rinse the quinoa well. I rinse my quinoa in a mesh strainer under hot water.
  2. Place the washed quinoa, drained and rinsed black beans, undrained diced tomatoes, drained and rinsed corn in the slow cooker.
  3. Chop the sweet peppers and poblano chili pepper (remove seeds if desired). Add the chopped peppers, minced garlic, and chopped onion to the slow cooker. Stir everything together. Add in the chili powder, ground cumin, and water. Stir again and cook for 3-4 hours on high or until the water is completely absorbed and the quinoa is cooked through. All slow cookers cook a little differently so make sure to occasionally check the dish to make sure the quinoa isn't burning or sticking all to the sides.
  4. Remove from heat and stir in the chopped cilantro, fresh lime juice, taco seasoning to taste, and green onions if desired. Season with salt and pepper.
  5. Stir in the mozzarella cheese and enjoy immediately.
  6. Have leftovers? I loved placing the mixture into a large tortilla (with extra cheese), rolling it up tight, and placing it in a skillet to brown the edges (1-2 minutes, switching sides every 30 seconds at medium heat). SO good!

Notes
RECIPE UPDATE: I have had a few readers report a mushy consistency. It seems when readers are getting this result they are cooking it for too long and/or on low. I've never had a mushy consistency with this recipe which is why I specify in the instructions to cook it 3-4 hours on high (no options for cooking on low). For best results (as all slow cookers cook a little differently) check yours every hour and only cook on high for a maximum of 4 hours.

No comments: