Saturday, April 4, 2015

Lentil & Brown Bean Sloppy Joes

Not going to lie, this one terrified me a bit. I hated Sloppy Joe's growing up. In fact, I once faked throwing up after eating one so I'd never have to eat them again (sorry mom!) My mom even made them from scratch. I bet if she made them for me now, I'd like them more.. Over the years I've grown to love the trusty manwich can. I found this out after living with an ex for a few years--I got a few good recipes out of that deal-- Anyway, I found that a little Mayo (which I never had before him) and a slice of cheese, a manwich sammy isn't terrible! And I mean, really, how easy can dinner be? Brown meat, throw in the manwich can and throw it on some buns! Seriously delish, but a seriously unhealthy meal.  So after years of loving on Manwich and going back to making it from scratch--I wasn't too sure what I'd think of it.
This recipe took a while to make too, but in the end, it was totally worth it. I liked it more than Manwich!! I'll totally be making future Sloppy Joe's with this recipe. Unless we are camping or something, that totally calls for a can of Manwich!  PS... I left the room with a few remaining items that needed to go in here--I don't think the Mr put the balsamic vinegar in it because it's still in the pantry, unopened. It was so delish though, I don't think that last ingredient is totally necessary!

Lentil Sloppy Joes
canola or olive oil, for cooking
1/2-1 lb ground beef
1 onion, finely chopped
1 red pepper, seeded and chipped
1 14 oz. (398 mL) can lentils, drained
1 14 oz. (398 mL) can brown beans in tomato sauce
2 cups tomato sauce
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
 In a large skillet set over medium-high heat, add a drizzle of oil and cook the onion for 4-5 minutes, until soft. Add the meat and cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until it’s no longer pink. Add the red pepper, lentils and brown beans and cook until the peppers are soft.

Add the tomato sauce, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce and balsamic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture bubbles and thickens. Serve hot on crusty rolls or a slab of cornbread or cheese bread. Serves 6.

No comments: